obscure ANSI question

Byron Rakitzis byron at archone.tamu.edu
Thu Feb 28 16:40:38 AEST 1991

I'm starting work on a C compiler implementing mostly-ANSI C, and as
a start I have typed in the grammar from the back of K&R 2. However,
I still have not seen (or found) the justification for making
"enumeration-constant" a terminal symbol in the grammar; what's wrong
with scanning in enumeration constants as normal identifiers?

Thanks,

Byron.

(I have not yet blown the $50+ for the ANSI standard, but it's going
to happen soon. Sigh, you think the ANSI standard was deliberately
convoluted so that people would have to buy this enormous document.)