A question on Function declaration

Steve Summit scs at adam.mit.edu
Thu Feb 14 11:35:01 AEST 1991

The people-who-ask-questions are doing a pretty good job of
reading the Frequently Asked Questions list and not asking
questions on it.  The people-who-know-enough-to-answer-questions
need to be a little more careful about contributing to the
secondary rash of Frequently Posted Answers.

If you know enough that the FAQ list probably won't teach you
anything, skim through it once in a while anyway, so you'll know
what questions you don't have to waste your time answering (and,
consequently, the rest of us shouldn't have to keep reading
answers to).  If a question is on the FAQ list, you can rest
assured that anyone who happens to ask it receives ample mailed
answers, without any necessity for posted followups.  (I and
several other people summarily mail copies of the entire FAQ list

Sorry for this interruption; we now return you to your regularly-
scheduled microoptimization workshop.  (I shouldn't sound snide;
the current one is actually meaningful, and hasn't used *any*
bitwise shift operators yet.)

                                            Steve Summit
                                            scs at adam.mit.edu