Whose code should we break? ( was Re: 64 bit C )

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Wed Feb 20 11:04:11 AEST 1991

In article <65469 at brunix.UUCP> cgy at cs.brown.edu (Curtis Yarvin) writes:
>But I want sizeof long == sizeof char *.  There are quite a few applications
>in which I find myself writing my own memory manager; I need some type
>in which I can flick the bits on my pointers, portably.

As maintainer of several major pieces of software that did just that,
I highly DISrecommend the practice.  If you can find ANY way to let
the C implementation handle memory management sufficiently well for
your actual needs, you are far better off doing so.

Clearly bit diddling in pointers in far from portable.