Whose code should we break? ( was Re: 64 bit C )

Curtis Yarvin cgy at cs.brown.edu
Wed Feb 20 12:37:14 AEST 1991

In article <65469 at brunix.UUCP> cgy at cs.brown.edu (Curtis Yarvin) writes:
>In article <1215 at dms.UUCP> albaugh at dms.UUCP (Mike Albaugh) writes:
>>From article <MARC.91Feb14085851 at marc.watson.ibm.com>, by marc at marc.watson.ibm.com (Marc Auslander):
>>> Anyone out there for sizeof int == 4?
>
>But I want sizeof long == sizeof char *.  There are quite a few applications
>in which I find myself writing my own memory manager; I need some type
>in which I can flick the bits on my pointers, portably.

Well, this has aroused some comment; I shouldn't have said "portably."  I
should have said "portably to anywhere I know about."  Does anyone know of
a modern machine on which (char *)((unsigned long)("Yow")+1) is not "ow"?
(Forgetting word-addressed machines, like Crays.)  This is a serious
question, not rhetorical.

Curtis

"I tried living in the real world
 Instead of a shell
 But I was bored before I even began." - The Smiths