Putenv() & Getenv() Bug ?

Doug McDonald mcdonald at aries.scs.uiuc.edu
Sat Feb 16 02:18:49 AEST 1991

In article <50361 at olivea.atc.olivetti.com> borzieri at KING.ICO.OLIVETTI.COM (Ivan Borzieri) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I URGENTLY need this information :
>
>I wrote two c modules called by a fortran main.
>in the first  c module I call the system function "putenv()" which should
>set a variable in the environment.
>In the second  c module I call the system function "getenv()" to read
>the value of the previous set variable.
>The value returned by getenv() is NULL, id est, that variable
>doesn't exist.
>
>Now my question is : is this right ?
>I know that in C-Shell scripts, when you set variables you loose them
>as you exit the script.
>Is it the same or this is a operating system bug ?
>
>The system is SCO Unix System V 3.2

I would have used e-mail, but this is getting my hackles up:

This is a system-specific question. It has nothing to do with C or Fortran per
se: It should be posted in an SCO Unix specific newsgroup, or at least
a Unix specific newsgroup. Not a general one like comp.lang.c.

I am not the slightest bit interested in Unix specific questions.

Other people have posted the same sort of requests.

Doug McDonald