Making chars disappear

uunet!bria!mike uunet!bria!mike
Mon Feb 18 12:20:02 AEST 1991

In an article, castle.ed.ac.uk!james (J Gillespie) writes:
>Does anyone know of a way to prevent characters being echoed as they
>are typed in?  Like when you log in, your password doesn't get echoed.
>I have a nasty feeling this may involve sending control codes to the
>terminal.

This is a function of the operating system, and not C.  Since it comes
up every so often, I'll post an answer to comp.unix.progammer.

BTW, no operating system that I know of accompishes supressing echo
by using control characters; it is usually a bit flag in a status word
for the port, or something along those lines.

--
Michael Stefanik, MGI Inc., Los Angeles| Opinions stated are not even my own.
Title of the week: Systems Engineer    | UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike