Making chars disappear

Jonathan W Miner jwm712 at unhd.unh.edu
Mon Feb 18 13:56:15 AEST 1991

In article <8531 at castle.ed.ac.uk> james at castle.ed.ac.uk (J Gillespie) writes:

>Does anyone know of a way to prevent characters being echoed as they
>are typed in?  Like when you log in, your password doesn't get echoed.
>I have a nasty feeling this may involve sending control codes to the
>terminal.
You will have to get the terminal driver to shift into RAW mode.  This takes
away all off the 'nice' features of line-oriented input.  Look into the
ioctl() system call and <sgtty.h>.  (I just don't have the time.)

--
Jonathan Miner        | I don't speak for UNH, and UNH does not
jwm712 at unhd.unh.edu   | speak for me!