How to get the time...

Tom Christiansen tchrist at convex.COM
Tue Feb 19 05:21:48 AEST 1991

>From the keyboard of rmacgreg at cs.strath.ac.uk (Sorcerer):
:I'm trying to get the time and date using the ctime() function, but I've come
:up against a rather large problem...  Ctime() expects a long int as an
:argument, but the manual doesn't say how or where you get this long int from.

My manual says:

     char *ctime(const time_t *clock);

usually you feed it something from the output of time(3) or perhaps
the st_[acm]time fields from a stat(2) call.  My time(3) looks like
this:

     time_t time(time_t *tloc);

So in general, do this:

    time_t now = time(0);
    char *cnow = ctime(&now);

replace time_t with long on old systems.

--tom
--
Tom Christiansen		tchrist at convex.com	convex!tchrist
 "All things are possible, but not all expedient."  (in life, UNIX, and perl)