FlexeLint - replacement for lint - any reviews?

Mark Harrison harrison at necssd.NEC.COM
Sat Jan 5 03:00:32 AEST 1991

In article <3424 at anasaz.UUCP>, duane at anasaz.UUCP (Duane Morse) writes:

> I read a review of a lint replacement called FlexeLint from Gimpel
> Software, and am interested in reviews.

I have been a flexelint users since it first came out on PCs, and
was a beta tester when it moved to Unix.  I could go on and on,
but three items can sum up its strengths.

1.  It does a lot of validations. printf() formats matching args,
    indentation anomolies, precedence oddities, K&R/Ansi portability
    considerations, etc.

2.  Any check can be turned on or off.  One of the main problems with
    regular lint is that there are usually so many messages to sort
    through.

3.  Great support.  James Gimpel was at Bell Labs for a number of
    years, and now he teaches at U. Penn.  He is very open to suggestions
    and generally does an excellent job.

Hope this helps...
--
Mark Harrison             harrison at necssd.NEC.COM
(214)518-5050             {necntc, cs.utexas.edu}!necssd!harrison