FlexeLint - replacement for lint - any reviews?

Tim McDaniel mcdaniel at adi.com
Tue Jan 8 03:42:55 AEST 1991

harrison at necssd.NEC.COM (Mark Harrison) writes:

   3.  Great support.  James Gimpel was at Bell Labs for a number of
       years, and now he teaches at U. Penn.  He is very open to suggestions
       and generally does an excellent job.

Oh, yeah, forgot about that.  When we got FlexeLint, we immediately
ran into a bug.  FlexeLint would report an error on
   a = (*(long (*)(void))tt)();
or anything else with calling a pointer to function with prototype
(void).  I called up Gimpel Software and left a message.  Within a day
or so, I got a call back from Jim Gimpel hisself, wanting to know the
symptoms.  Later, he called back and gave me the file name and line
number to change, and what to change it to.  He then explained the
technical details of what had happened ("we subtracted 1 to denote a
(void) prototype, but forgot to add 1 to compensate here", more or
less).

He's sharp and he gives good support.  8-)  (Of course, the president
of the company has better things to do with his time than tech
support, but it makes the customer feel good.)

--
Tim McDaniel                 Applied Dynamics Int'l.; Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Work phone: +1 313 973 1300                        Home phone: +1 313 677 4386