K&R vs ANSI-c

Dave P. Schaumann dave at cs.arizona.edu
Sun Jan 13 13:43:06 AEST 1991

In article <114 at skyking.UUCP> jc at skyking.UUCP (J.C. Webber III) writes:

>I'm a bit concerned.  My machine's manufacturer is now defunct
>(CounterPoint Computers).  As the world slowly moves to ANSI-c
>what happens to those of us  with older machines that don't
>have the ability or resources to have the new compiler ported to
>our machines?
You could always hire some grad student(s) fresh from a compiler writing course
to write a new compiler  for you... You may not get the most killer-optimizing
tight code compiler, but at least you'd have something that works...

I don't know when the standard comes up for reveiw before ANSI again, but I
suspect it won't take more than 1 or 2 more iterations of the process before
your pre-ansi compiler is hopelessly inadequate for 'ANSI C' programming.
At some point you're going to find that creating conversion code is more
expensive than just writing a new compiler.  I believe it was already expressed
on a similar thread that writing a robust and complete ANSI to pre-ANSI
converter would be of dubious value.

Also, you may try to contact other users of your computer, and share the cost
of writing a new compiler among you.

>thx net.people
>
>jc
>
>--
>J.C.Webber III
>Skyking Inc.

Dave Schaumann		| You are in a twisty maze of little
dave at cs.arizona.edu	| C statements, all different.