errors in Alg in "C" by Sedgewick

Doug Schmidt schmidt at oberkampf.ics.uci.edu
Wed Jan 23 05:02:37 AEST 1991

There are more than just syntax errors in the code from Sedgewick's
book.  In fact, the section on regular expression pattern matching
contains both code *and* design that simply does not work (in
particular, the method he uses to build the state machine for the
alternation ('|') operation does not operate correctly).  When I
taught a compiler theory class I had to reimplement and redesign this
code in several places to avoid subtle bugs.  I'm curious whether
anyone knows how to contact Sedgewick, since I'd like to contribute my
corrections (written in C) for future versions of the book.

        Doug
--
``Cry havoc, and let slip           | Douglas C. Schmidt (schmidt at ics.uci.edu)
  the dogs of war.'' -- Marc Antony | (714) 856-4101