errors in Alg in "C" by Sedgewick

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Thu Jan 24 09:42:16 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan22.001229.20 at cudnvr.denver.colorado.edu> kwolcott at cudnvr.denver.colorado.edu writes:
>BTW, the errors I see I didn't need a compiler/lint to see -- these are quite
>obvious and show a great deal of ignorance on the part of the person who wrote
>this particular section ...

While I don't claim that the code in question is particularly elegant,
I sure didn't see the vast number of problems that you claim.  Certainly,
as I previously reported, some standard headers should be included and as
the text on the preceding page said, graph representation details were
omitted.  That is all understandable in the context in which the code is
presented.  What other problems do you think are present?

On a related note, I was extremely disappointed with "Numerical Recipes
in C", wherein not only is some utterly horrible C coding employed, but
also the authors explicitly deride the very features of C that they
should have learned to use effectively before undertaking C coding.
I haven't studied Sedgewick's book enough to determine whether it has
similar problems.