Machine readable form of K+R.

Barry Margolin barmar at think.com
Wed Jun 5 09:44:17 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun4.203054.16201 at cs.yale.edu> rescorla at rtnmr.chem.yale.edu (Eric Rescorla) writes:
>Well, if I remember, the book says "available in machine readable form"
>What exactly does this mean if it is not available in machine readable
>form. I.e. if K+R have not made it available for FTP, how IS it available
>if not in paper?

What this may mean is that the publisher is willing to *sell* it in
machine-readable form, and perhaps to license it for further distribution.
For instance, Symbolics includes an online version of Harbison&Steele with
their C compiler for Lisp Machines (however, it's not in a simple text file
format, it's in a binary format intended to be accessed by their hypertext
online documentation system).  Loading the online H&S also loads patches to
the documentation reader, which I believe make it reject attempts to print
hardcopy of the H&S stuff (the publisher probably made them do this -- any
reasonably competent Lisp programmer should be able to bypass the checks).

--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar at think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar