Machine readable form of K+R.

ANDREW BRUSH smbrush at lims01.lerc.nasa.gov
Tue Jun 11 23:04:05 AEST 1991

In article <676362087.62 at egsgate.FidoNet.Org>, Lars.Wirzenius at f98.n250.z1.FidoNet.Org (Lars Wirzenius) writes...

>In article <1991Jun4.211119.13531 at zoo.toronto.edu> henry at zoo.toronto.edu
>(Henry Spencer) writes:
>>In article <1991Jun4.203054.16201 at cs.yale.edu> rescorla at rtnmr.chem.yale.edu
>(Eric Rescorla) writes:
>>>Well, if I remember, the book says "available in machine readable form"
>>
>>Where, exactly, does it say that?
>
>In the Preface (page x in my copy of the second edition, first paragraph),
>it says:
>
>	"As before, all examples have been tested directly from the
>	text, which is in machine-readable form."
>
>From the Preface to the First Edition (page xi, third paragraph):
>
>	"All examples have been tested directly from the text, which is
>	in machine-readable form."
>
>I have not been able to find anything about availability. I have always
>assumed that the authors wanted to reduce the suspicions of
>typographical errors in typeset code, which are all too common in some
>books.
>--
>Lars Wirzenius     wirzeniu at cc.helsinki.fi

I think I see a misunderstanding here...

A machine can READ the *program examples* in K&R, since they are typeset
in an evenly-spaced courier-like font.  This seems like a logical way
of checking the examples.

If you aren't interested in copyright laws, you can scan them into
your machine.

Like most others who responded to this thread, I'd be very surprised
if such a successful book was available in ELECTRONIC form.

Andrew S. Brush             | SMBRUSH at EARTH.lerc.nasa.gov
Sverdrup Technology         | 2001 Aerospace Parkway
NASA LeRC Group             | Brook Park, OH 44142
"Opinions are Mine, Only"   | (216) 826-6770