Running long memory intensive programs!

Barbara Vaughan BVAUGHAN at pucc.Princeton.EDU
Fri Jun 14 07:56:23 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun13.160602.23726 at afit.af.mil>, dlindsle at afit.af.mil (David T. Lindsley) writes:

>The only Fortran I know of that can use extended memory is Watcom's.
>However, it does so by using the Phar Lap (memory management?)
>software.  We have had this here at AFIT for about six months; as far
>as I know, we haven't even been able to get Watcom's demo programs
>(supplied with the compiler) to work.  (The people trying to get it
>to work are electrical & computer engineers, FYI.)

I asked several months ago about Fortran compilers for 386 machines
and received many replies from happy users of Watcom's compiler.
I also received a copy of a review published in the April '90 issue
of Computer Language which mentions four compilers that can run in
protected mode: Lahey F77LEM/32, OTG FTN77, Microway NDP and SVS F77.
The latter two compilers got very poor reviews; Watcom was not reviewed
as it was still in beta test when the review was published.
All of these can also use virtual memory (some require Phar Lap Tools,
Lahey requires separate purchase of its own Ergo OS/386.)
I will send copies
of these letters and reviews on request.  I must warn that I found
some inaccuracies and cannot be sure of the correctness of some of
the letters and comments.  But that's the weakness of the net, as this
posting shows.

Barbara Vaughan