One more point regarding = and == (more flamage)

Christopher Mc Kulka mckulka at eldalonde.endor.cs.psu.edu
Sat Mar 23 08:29:39 AEST 1991

In article <3182 at inews.intel.com> bhoughto at pima.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
	[STUFF DELETED]

>	/* mommy:  please hold my hand */
>	while ((*foo++ = *bar++) != 0)
>
>Basically, if you're worth the meager pittance they direct-deposit
>into your debt with the Company Store, the comments will have
>existed long before you wrote the code.  Put those in, and make
>them accurate, and it doesn't matter how much the code obfuscates.
>
>It's called top-down design, and involves _thinking_ before
>you start making mistakes.

Ahhh, it must be perfect in a perfect world where people do not make mistakes
by *ACCIDENT*.  Have you never missed an '=' or slipped in a ';' instead of a
',', or etc.

Last time I checked I usually found mistakes after *thinking* I did not make
any.

	Chris

PS - If you have discovered a tonic that makes it possible to write programs
     larger than "Hello, world." correctly the first time, PLEASE let the rest
     of us know about it.  We can *bury* Japan in a year.
--
Just say *NO* to software patents & look-and-feel lawsuits.  Try competition.
If God had intended man to smoke he would have set him on fire.