One more point regarding = and == (more flamage)

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Sat Mar 23 07:30:09 AEST 1991

In article <13603 at helios.TAMU.EDU> byron at archone.tamu.edu (Byron Rakitzis) writes:
>I have one more thing to say to the self-styled C gods who approve of
>simple assignments as an implicit test against zero inside an if-statment.

If that was intended as criticism of me in particular, all I can say
about it is that one should understand the gods before criticizing them.

>b)	while ((*foo++ = *bar++) != 0)

That's in fact the way I would code this particular case, which I
consider a "straw man".  On the other hand, I frequently write code such as:
	bool	status;
	if ( status = WriteHeader() )
	else
	return status;
for which I would be extremely annoyed to receive gratuitous warnings from
the compiler!