One more point regarding = and == (more flamage)

Blair P. Houghton bhoughto at hopi.intel.com
Wed Mar 27 14:53:22 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar27.022120.29773 at athena.mit.edu> scs at adam.mit.edu writes:
>aniewun that duzzent
>immeediyateley unnerstand mhy righting canot bee caled an englisk
>speekur.

Lame.

Besides, considering the rampant proliferation of coding cultures
out there, it's exceedingly bad for your self-preservation either
to denigrate anyone for how they code, as well as to be unable to
understand it no matter its form.

I've had to add significant pieces of code to programs that had
four previous authors, all of whom had different styles (though
sufficiently close to the house-style not to get returned for
revision) and worked on four different paradigms of the program.
Try making semantic-, syntactic-, _and_ data-style change four
times a day, then come back and tell me if yours is the One True
Way.

Spelling don't count for shit when the spec says "Adjust
program A to learn formatting spec B to turn file format C
into machine control D with operator twiddling E, and do it
by yesterday," and nobody believes that more than the guy
who had this job just before you got it.

I.e., I may say I prefer to leave out the '!=0', but I'll
bet you I can egrep(1) it more than once out of my own code
from the past six months, along with a passel of cast NULLs
and other syntax-denials.

				--Blair
				  "I still gots lots o' lollipops.
				   There's a significant portion of