When do you use "if ( a = b )"?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Sat Mar 30 23:56:24 AEST 1991

In article <866JZ5w163w at phoenix.com> stanley at phoenix.com (John Stanley) writes:
>> cursed Bourne for doing that.  Eventually, the Bourne shell source
>> was de-Algolized (by Dave Korn, if I recall correctly), so the version
>  You mean he, like, ran it through the preprocessor and, sorta, let
>the preprocessor convert all the Algol to the real C?

No, if you think about it you should see that preprocessing it via cpp
would not have been desirable.  I don't know exactly how he did it,
but one possibility would have been to temporarily disable the # directives,
except for the ones that #defined the Algolish macros, and preprocess just
that, the reenable the remaining # directives.  The way cpp works, probably
some additional cleanup would have been necessary afterwards.