When do you use "if ( a = b )"?

David Meleedy dmm at cfa.harvard.edu
Sat Mar 30 05:56:22 AEST 1991

If someone is having a lot of trouble because (s)he is using an assignment
instead of a test for equality, then I still have no problem with person using
the:
#define EQU ==

in fact, if it really gets under your skin, you can take the source code,
use a good editor to replace every EQU string with ==, and then delete the
define statement at the top.  In fact you could do that will all but the
pseudo-macros like WRITE(x) in the Pascal example that I sent in.  So I guess
the arguments that it's too hard to translate for an experienced C programmer
don't hold any water for me, because an experienced C programmer knows how
to use an editor and replace strings that bother him/her.

-David Meleedy
dmm at worf.harvard.edu