Algorithms, libraries, and comp.lang.c

Stavros Macrakis macrakis at gr.osf.org
Fri Mar 1 01:34:28 AEST 1991

This is a group to discuss the language C.  Appropriate topics would
seem to be:

	the language itself
	  its syntax
	  its semantics
	programming using the language
	  using language constructs intelligently
	  style questions
	tools for the language
	  cross-referencers
	  analyzers
	  compilers

On the other hand, many questions on this newsgroup have to do with
things that have NO direct relationship with the language C, namely:

	Unix libraries
	Unix system calls
	algorithms

Although there is some gray area around libraries, I do not see any
reason that algorithmic questions should be discussed in a C
newsgroup, unless it's some algorithm very closely related to using
special features of C and standard libraries (e.g. setjump hacking or
funny function pointer manipulations) or an algorithm that works on C
program text (e.g. a lexical analyzer).

Could we please keep such queries OUT of this group?

Thanks

	-s