Should I use macros to inline code?

Checkpoint Technologies ckp at grebyn.com
Thu Mar 28 05:48:25 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar27.024602.21399 at visix.com> adam at visix.com writes:

>Hi, a quick question --
>
>Given today's C compilers, is there any reason at all to explicitly
>inline code with macros?

I think so.  In-lining with macros always works, so you are insulating
yourself from the compiler's quality somewhat.  I also notice that more
"advanced" implementations (GCC, C++) give you an "inline" keyword,
rather than improve their own automatic inlining quality.

But of course this is only my opinion.

--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                ckp at grebyn.com      \\ / /