Should I use macros to inline code?

adam at visix.com adam at visix.com
Wed Mar 27 12:46:02 AEST 1991

Hi, a quick question --

Given today's C compilers, is there any reason at all to explicitly
inline code with macros?

The only thing I could think of was there might be cases where you
want explicit control of the space/time tradeoff (but surely the
benefit is small).

Assuming that's useful, is there any use for subroutines, so that a
routine is only inlined once per function?  (I.e. would this be a
useful third choice on the space/time tradeoff?)  (surely this
benefit is even smaller).

(Actually, I don't see any way to pass arguments to and return from
subroutines that would make them useful in C.)

Thanks much,
Adam

adam at visix.com