Question for net.views column in UNIX Today!

Bob Berger sfc.sony.com!berger at uunet.UU.NET
Thu Mar 7 12:03:52 AEST 1991

IMHO, Having User Orgs step into the fray will be the major way we can
get past the GUI wars and the FUD factors that the Iron Mongers are
bogged down in.

These vendors have a vested interest in "differentiating" themselves.
Unfortunatly, they use OS's and GUI's instead of price,
performance and interoperability.

This is a self destructive illusion since it limits the success of the
total Unix marketplace pie (and thus the size of the vendor's potential slice)
as well as frustrates the users / developers.

The real winner of a fragmented Unix enviornment then becomes
DOS-Windows-OS/2, IBM and Microsoft :-(

You are free to use / edit / correct spelling this.

It is my opinion and does not reflect the opinion of my employer. As a
mater of fact, please do not put my employer's name in association of
this opinion. You can refer to me as a manager of software development
if need be.

Bob Berger  -  SONY Advanced Video Technology Center
677 River Oaks Parkway  San Jose, CA 95134 408-944-4964 FAX:  408-954-1027
INTERNET: berger at sfc.sony.com   UUCP: [uunet,mips]!sonyusa!sfcsun!berger