usr/group changing their name

David H. Wolfskill david at dhw68k.cts.com
Sat May 13 13:45:30 AEST 1989

In article <199565 at hrc.UUCP> dan at hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) writes:
>I have heard that usr/group is considering changing their name. What are
>they changing it to, and WHY?!?

As the Summary: states, the proposed new name is "Uniforum" (though the
capitalization may be different; I don't have the letter I received
explaining the proposal handy).

My *interpretation* of my recollection regarding the reason is that
more folks (of the sort that /usr/group wishes to attract) are finding
out about UNIX through /usr/group's Uniforum trade show -- and don't
know enough about UNIX to understand the origin of the name
"/usr/group."  Hence, some of these folks (apparently) aren't especially
comfortable with the thought of paying money to an organization with
such a "funny-looking" name.

Hope that clarifies a thing or two....

david
--