mkdir refuses to

Larry Wall lwall at sdcrdcf.UUCP
Thu Nov 29 04:51:49 AEST 1984

Anybody got any bright ideas why /bin/mkdir.exe would suddenly stop working?
CREATE/DIR still works fine.  I've wracked my brain, run strings on it
(mkdir, not my brain), checked all kinds of protection codes, and still can't
come up with anything.  Nothing peculiar about the name of the directory.
Doesn't matter if I'm priveledged or not.  Doesn't matter if I fully qualify
the name of the directory.  It isn't aliased in any way.

/bin/mkdir.exe foo
mkdir: cannot create foo/

or some such message.  I've seen it happen on two different Eunice machines
now.  I've got a mkdir shell script to work around it, but it's SLOW.
Somebody help the poor boy!

Larry Wall
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!lwall