Run away vms processes

kermit at okstate.UUCP kermit at okstate.UUCP
Thu Nov 15 05:33:00 AEST 1984

< Eat this you line sucking pig >

      Recently, while working on a school project, under EUNICE on
the university's VAX 11/780, I encountered what appears to be a
strange bug.  The system was running quite slow, so I decided to
see who the CPU hogs were.  Inocently, I typed "vms mon proc/topcpu".
The monitor facility imediatly responded, and began to display the
top processes on the machine.  After looking these over for a few
seconds, I typed ^C to exit the monitor.  The "^C" appeared on the
screen, but the monitor kept running.  I then typed "^Y".  This
time, I got my EUNICE prompt back.  The only problem is that the
monitor did not stop.  Suspecting the "^Y" at fault, a typed "ps"
to see what the process number was so I could kill it.  This revealed
that EUNICE had no knowledge of the process.  I than logged out of
EUNICE (^D) returning to the VMS level.  At this point the screen
froze.  It was previously being updated every second.  I typed
"sho sys" to see if VMS had any knowledge of the process.
As soon as I did this, the screen began to update again.  Keeping
my eye on the PID column, I found a process named _M?????? that
had my PID tied to it.  I also found a process with my userid tied
to it.  At the VMS $, I typed "stop/id=??????".  This stoped the
monitor's output.  After a little investagation, it turns out that
you can not stop any (as far as the commands I have tested are
concerned) "vms ??????" process with "^C" or "^Y".  They must run
to completion.  Has anybody noticed this on their EUNICE system,
and if so have you found a fix (if there is one).

           Thanks in advance...

Gregg Wonderly
Oklahoma State University
Department of Computing and Information Sciences

USENET: ihnp4!umn-cs!isucs1!okstate!kermit