MicroVax TCP/IP ?

Geoff Kuenning geoff at desint.UUCP
Sun Nov 4 07:27:27 AEST 1984

In article <589 at sjuvax.UUCP> Jonathan Shapiro writes:

>	Eunice might not be available, and almost certainly wouldn't work
>anyway (voice of bitter experience).  Your best bet is to pester DEC until
>they admit that unisoft runs on the microvax.  Unisoft is DEC's edition of
>4.1 BSD.

No, no, no, no, no.  UNISOFT is a *company* that sells 68K Unix ports.  DEC
has a product named *ULTRIX* that is their version of *4.2* BSD.

With all that misinformation, I wonder if there is any hard data to support
the theory that Ultrix runs on the Microvax.  As an ex-Deccie, I can tell you
that frequently the software *will* run in "unsupported" configurations (I
almost managed to get 11M up on a dual-floppy 11/03 once;  needed a third
floppy to actually pull it off).  But DEC makes no special effort to
suppress the code that supports such configurations.  So if Ultrix runs on
the Microvax, it probably is mostly a configuration problem to bring it up
(that, and getting it to fit...).

--

	Geoff Kuenning
	First Systems Corporation