Interfacing Eunice I/O redirection and VMS programs

Daniel R. Levy levy at ttrdc.UUCP
Fri Sep 13 12:05:14 AEST 1985

Can somebody tell me if (and if so how) it is possible to interface Eunice I/O
redirection and VMS programs?  In specific I would like to take the supposedly
"standard output" of a program compiled under VMS Fortran and stuff it into
a Eunice pipeline, or to have the standard input of said program come from
a Eunice pipeline (or to be redirectible from/to files with < and >).  Attempts
to do this from the Fortran program by opening things like "SYS$OUTPUT" and
"SYS$INPUT" or writing to and reading from unit "*" will not work.  Is this pos-
sible at all?  I have sometimes also wanted to catch the output of a VMS "DIR"
command (for example) and stuff it into a Eunice pipeline or redirect it in
Eunice, but no soap, won't work.  Thanks much to anyone who can shed light on
this subject.
|         an engihacker @        |  ployer, my pets, my plants, my boss, or the
| at&t computer systems division |  s.a. of any computer upon which I may hack.
|        skokie, illinois        |