uucp & eunice

Joe Buck jbuck at epimass.UUCP
Sun Nov 2 05:25:59 AEST 1986

In article <2092 at homxb.UUCP> ceh at homxb.UUCP (C.HAILEY) writes:
>	One footnote: Eunice 4.2 on a VAX outperforms Berkley 4.2!

You must be joking.  Try "ls -l" on a large directory, and take a long
coffee break on Eunice (of course, this isn't nearly as bad as it was
under Eunice 3.x with lots of hashnamed files in the directory).  Or try
doing a task with lots of forks and execs.  It takes VMS tens or even
hundreds of times as long as Unix to read a directory or create a new
process.

If you're talking about number-crunching though, the time should be
exactly the same as for 4.1bsd, since the same C compiler (essentially) is
used and you're running the same machine instructions.

>	Yes!  Eunice is an odd world, I wish there was more info in
>	this group.

Since news 2.11 will run on Eunice, maybe that will increase this group's
traffic a bit (Chip Rosenthal at Intel got 2.10.2 news to run on Eunice v3.2,
but his code was never widely distributed).

--
- Joe Buck 	{hplabs,ihnp4}!oliveb!epimass!jbuck
  Entropic Processing, Inc., Cupertino, California