uucp & eunice

Joe Buck jbuck at epimass.UUCP
Sun Nov 2 05:16:57 AEST 1986

In article <756 at hropus.UUCP> jin at hropus.UUCP (Jerry Natowitz) writes:
>We are running VMS V3.7 with Release 3.2 of Eunice.  Our site management
>want to upgrade to VMS V4.3 and whatever the latest version of
>Eunice is.  My questions are:
>
>1) Will the old Eunice run under VMS V4.3?

No, it won't.

>2) What problems will we encounter with the new Eunice?

You want Eunice version 4.2 (nothing to do with 4.2bsd; it still
looks like 4.1bsd).  It works pretty well, considering it's Eunice
(the 4.1 Eunice release was so buggy that it was unusable).  The
filename hashing scheme has changed.

Both your Eunice and VMS users may encounter problems because
when a program with SYSPRV privilege creates a file, it's owned
by the owner of the directory the file is created in.  This causes
some problems for Eunice mail (a mailbox will suddenly become
owned by the SYSTEM account, if a user deletes some, but not
all, of his/her mail) and other privileged utilities.

UUCP works, sort of.  I find that uuxqt hangs up a lot and I have
to run it by hand occasionally to get mail and news delivered.
uucico itself has no problems talking to "epimass", a Masscomp 5600
running (roughly) 4.2bsd UUCP.

Oh yes, news.  I did the Eunice 2.11 news implementation, which is
part of the standard distribution.  Check out Appendix C of the
news installation guide, now being distributed on mod.sources.
A beta version is up and running on site "epicen" (I still have to
bring up the "official" version and see if it still runs).  It
will not run on the old (version 3.x VMS) Eunice.  There may still
be some problems with it; if anyone installs it on a Eunice system
and has problems I'd like to hear about it.

--
- Joe Buck 	{hplabs,ihnp4}!oliveb!epimass!jbuck
  Entropic Processing, Inc., Cupertino, California