sizeof in #if?

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.UUCP
Thu Jul 28 15:32:34 AEST 1988

In article <12685 at mimsy.UUCP> chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
|>In article <12674 at mimsy.UUCP> Chris wrote [a comment about sizeof being a
| keyword, and that footnote 74 points out that keywords do not yet exist].

[ and chris then further agrees that sizeof is not a keyword, but an
  operator instead ]

|>As such I would expect that it would function as well in #if as do +,
|>-, etc. Perhaps this should be clarified again, as it was in the 2nd draft.
|
|I agree with the latter sentiment, although I see this as a relatively
|minor issue.  (There are things that the draft seems to say that I find
|even less obvious than this---e.g., Arthur Olson's observations on reserved
|names.)

sizeof has nothing to operate on.  there is no means of specifying the
datatype or variable whose size is to be determined.

- john.
--
John F. Haugh II                 +--------- Cute Chocolate Quote ---------
HASA, "S" Division               | "USENET should not be confused with