sizeof in #if?

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Wed Jul 27 12:59:49 AEST 1988

>In article <12674 at mimsy.UUCP> I wrote [a comment about sizeof being a
 keyword, and that footnote 74 points out that keywords do not yet exist].

In article <11654 at steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
(William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
>  I guess some wording better be put back in fn74, since everywhere I
>could find in the standard (including the index) sizeof is refered to as
>an *operator* rather than a keyword or statement.

It is indeed an operator.  `operator' and `keyword' are not mutually
exclusive (although, as it happens, this is the only C keyword that is
also an operator).  (In Pascal, e.g., the keywords `div' and `mod' are
operators.)

>As such I would expect that it would function as well in #if as do +,
>-, etc. Perhaps this should be clarified again, as it was in the 2nd draft.

I agree with the latter sentiment, although I see this as a relatively
minor issue.  (There are things that the draft seems to say that I find
even less obvious than this---e.g., Arthur Olson's observations on reserved
names.)