ANSI C token set (including $ and @)

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Tue Jan 17 06:42:14 AEST 1989

In article <11383 at haddock.ima.isc.com> karl at haddock.ima.isc.com (Karl Heuer) writes:
>`Strictly conforming' is an attribute of programs, not implementations.  An
>implementation is either ANSI C, or it isn't.  According to the rules,
>accepting `$' in an identifier seems to yield a non-ANSI implementation.

Only if it is not diagnosed (e.g. by a warning message).  I'm getting a
bit tired of repeating this:  accepting extensions does not make a compiler
non-conforming.  The requirements for a conforming implementation are that
it handle all strictly conforming programs correctly, and that it diagnose
(not necessarily reject, just diagnose) any construct which is illegal
according to the standard.

Actually, the character-set issue may be even less severe than this,
depending on how the wording goes, but my copy of the October draft went
out on a few days' loan a month ago (sigh) and isn't back yet, so I can't
check the fine print just now.
--
"God willing, we will return." |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
-Eugene Cernan, the Moon, 1972 | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu