ANSI C token set (including $ and @)

Larry Jones scjones at sdrc.UUCP
Fri Jan 6 08:25:14 AEST 1989

In article <11343 at haddock.ima.isc.com>, karl at haddock.ima.isc.com (Karl Heuer) writes:
> Let's see if I've got this straight yet.
>
> o  `$' is required to scan as a separate pp-token, despite existing practice
>    making it an optional identifier-character.

I don't believe that '$' is required to scan as anything.  Since
it is not in the C source character set, a conforming compiler is
under no obligation to do anything in particular with it and so
is at liberty to do anyting at all with it.  If an implementation
chooses to allow it in identifiers, that's fine (although it
should diagnose the syntax violation - perhaps by congratulating
you for seeing the value of using names containing dollar
signs).

----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!scjones
SDRC                                      scjones at sdrc.uucp
Milford, OH  45150                  AT&T: (513) 576-2070
"Save the Quayles" - Mark Russell