__STDC__ and non-conforming ANSI C compilers

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sat Jan 14 22:49:59 AEST 1989

In article <264 at microsoft.UUCP> w-colinp at microsoft.uucp (Colin Plumb) writes:
>Personally, I generally thing setting __STDC__ to 0 if a compiler almost
>makes it, but will parse ANSI C programs and, for the most part, compile
>them, is a Good Thing.

We already had this discussion, not long ago in fact.
I maintain that predefining __STDC__ is a mistake, except when the
implementation conforms to the Standard (in which case __STDC__ is
necessarily preset to 1, for the current standard, or some number
greater than 1, presumably, for a future compatible standard).
There is no way you can know what use a programmer is making of
__STDC__.  In fact your guess was wrong for some of the code we
have..