__STDC__ and non-conforming ANSI C compilers

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sat Jan 14 22:43:16 AEST 1989

In article <898 at ubu.warwick.UUCP> geoff at emerald.UUCP (Geoff Rimmer) writes:
>I think I read in the Microsoft 5.1 C compiler manual that __STDC__ is
>defined to be 0 in that compiler, since it doesn't fully comply to the ANSI
>standard.  If this is so, it makes lines like the following, useless.

Sigh.  I was afraid that somebody would have a cosmic ray fire in their
brain and decide to "#define __STDC__ 0" to be "helpful", and lo! it did.
Of course the REAL way to be helpful would have been to not define
__STDC__ at all in a nonconforming implementation!  One wonders what they
were thinking of.

Apart from screaming at MicroSoft about this brain damage, I guess we
all have now been forced to use "#if __STDC__" to survive that stupid
decision.