#pragma

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Mon Jan 16 02:44:20 AEST 1989

In article <8770 at bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> scs at adam.pika.mit.edu (Steve Summit) writes:
>It has been stated that X3J11 has not specified anything (other
>than trigraphs) which had not already been implemented in
>production compilers.  What was the "prior art" for #pragmas?

I don't know who stated that, but it isn't phrased quite right.
However, it does happen that #pragma has been implemented in C
translators.  Some of us just ignore lines "#pragma ..."!  That
is a valid implementation, and one I heartily recommend.

The main source for the notion of pragmas is of course Ada.