ANSI standard for difftime()

david.f.prosser dfp at cbnewsl.ATT.COM
Thu Jul 6 06:57:33 AEST 1989

In article <11000001 at tdpvax> scott at tdpvax.UUCP writes:

>I have a copy of _The Waite Group's Essential Guide to ANSI C_ and it has
>difftime() defined as the __elapsed__ time between to time_t values.
>
>My question is can this value be negative?

The pANS says ``The difftime function computes [and returns] the
difference [in seconds] between two calendar times: time1 - time0,''
where the declaration is given as

	double difftime(time_t time1, time_t time0);

So there is no implication of an ordering of the two times.

Dave Prosser	...not an official X3J11 answer...