Declarations in switches, errors

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sat Oct 14 14:10:45 AEST 1989

In article <10888 at riks.csl.sony.co.jp> diamond at riks. (Norman Diamond) writes:
>Mr. Kremer, you start your reply with "No."  So you think that correct
>execution of a switch statement constitutes abnormal entry to the block.
>I conjecture that very few will agree with you.

You lose, then.  The only use of the term "normal entry into a block" I
could find in the Standard is in 3.1.2.4, where it is contrasted to a
"jump from outside the block to a labeled statement in the block or in
an enclosed block".  The description of "switch" in 3.6.4.2 is quite
explicit that a jump occurs, and that "case" and "default" are labels.