printf zero-pads strings?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Tue Oct 24 01:20:50 AEST 1989

In article <7279 at sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> williams at beowulf.UCSD.EDU (Paul Williamson) writes:
>Has the definition of printf changed since early drafts of the ANSI spec?

Yes, at one point the specs that had been derived from AT&T UNIX
System V specs were replaced with wording supplied by Alan Beale.
When we subsequently found unintended changes in behavior implied
in that version, additional revision occurred.  So far as I can
tell, the final fprintf() spec is exactly what we do intend.

>K&R2 and several other compilers give "    x", claiming that zero-padding
>applies only to numeric values.

And that is what we intend.