printf zero-pads strings?

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.umd.edu
Mon Oct 23 00:09:39 AEST 1989

In article <7279 at sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> williams at beowulf.ucsd.edu
(Paul Williamson) writes:
>  printf("%05s", "x");
>According to my old draft spec, and several compilers, this should print
>"0000x".  That is, it should pad the string on the left with zeroes.  But
>K&R2 and several other compilers give "    x", claiming that zero-padding
>applies only to numeric values.

(K&R2 is not a compiler.)

The 4.4BSD doprnt.c (essentially the one I posted to comp.lang.c) prints
"0000x".  This appears to conform to the letter of the standard (we wrote
the thing based on the letter of the standard!).
--
`They were supposed to be green.'
Domain:	chris at cs.umd.edu	Path:	uunet!mimsy!chris