Macro sustitution inside quotes

Richard Tobin richard at aiai.ed.ac.uk
Wed Apr 11 23:17:19 AEST 1990

In article <3155 at auspex.auspex.com> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
> (Reference: K&R I, Appendix A "C Reference Manual", p. 207: "Text inside
> a string or a character constant is not subject to replacement.")

I have heard it suggested that the Reiser behaviour arises from the
misinterpretation of this sentence as meaning that macro calls are not
expanded when they appear in strings.  It's fairly clear that this is
a *mis*interpretation since the preceding text refers to macro
expansion as replacement of *identifiers*, which obviously don't
occur in strings.

-- Richard

Richard Tobin,                       JANET: R.Tobin at uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,           ARPA:  R.Tobin%uk.ac.ed at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Edinburgh University.                UUCP:  ...!ukc!ed.ac.uk!R.Tobin