Internationalization

Walter Murray walter at hpclwjm.HP.COM
Thu Feb 22 05:12:15 AEST 1990

Tim McDaniel writes:

> If I want to write C programs to be more easily portable to Europe,
> say, what facilities exist in the Standard to help?

> K&R2 says almost nothing about the subject, except to briefly mention
> wchar_t in an appendix.  "The Waite Group's Essential Guide to ANSI C"
> mentions <locale.h>, localeconv, mb*, wc*, strxfrm, and strcoll, but
> doesn't go into any details.

One book that I like, which does go into details, is _ANSI_C_A_Lexical_
Guide_ by the Mark Williams Company.  Start with the overview topic
"localization".

There have also been some good articles in recent issues of the
_C_Users_Journal_.

Note that the standard does not require any locales other than
the basic "C" locale.  Check your vendor's documentation for
information on what other locales are supported.

Walter Murray
This is a personal opinion.  I have no connection with the Mark Williams
Company or the _Journal_.