prototypes required ?

Ron Guilmette rfg at NCD.COM
Mon Oct 22 04:22:29 AEST 1990

In article <27066 at mimsy.umd.edu> chris at mimsy.umd.edu (Chris Torek) writes:
<In article <2150 at lupine.NCD.COM> rfg at NCD.COM (Ron Guilmette) writes:
<>... on a machine for which the va_list type is a structure ... I
<>encountered an odd problem. ...
<
<As it happens, `void *' is `good enough' to hold any pointer type.

So what?

<This machine's <stdio.h> contains a questionable, but legal, prototype
<for vfprintf (provided that it *works* of course).  If the compiler
<generates warnings, it can still be considered ANSI conformant...

The <stdio.h> contains what I feel is (or shoud be) an *illegal* prototype
for vprintf().

Note that I said that on this particular machine, va_list is a *struct*
type (*not* a pointer to struct type).  Therefore, declaring the last
parameter for vprintf() as a void* is certainly not going to work right.

I just wanted to clarify that.

--

// Ron Guilmette  -  C++ Entomologist
// Internet: rfg at ncd.com      uucp: ...uunet!lupine!rfg