prototypes required ?

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.umd.edu
Tue Oct 23 00:55:07 AEST 1990

In article <2173 at lupine.NCD.COM> rfg at NCD.COM (Ron Guilmette) writes:
>Note that I said that on this particular machine, va_list is a *struct*
>type (*not* a pointer to struct type).  Therefore, declaring the last
>parameter for vprintf() as a void* is certainly not going to work right.

True.  I made the assumption that the system on that machine actually
worked, and guessed (wrongly) that you dropped the `pointer to' somewhere
along the line (easy to do in a Usenet posting where there is no compiler
to catch such errors :-) ).

I still find it hard to believe that someone would not test something
as basic as vprintf (or at least vfprintf---in my implementation, all
the printf routines eventually call vfprintf).  This is sort of like
sending a car to the dealer and forgetting to put in an engine.  Surely
*someone* would notice before selling the thing?
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 405 2750)
Domain:	chris at cs.umd.edu	Path:	uunet!mimsy!chris