Proposed Enhancement to select/case

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sun Sep 2 12:23:09 AEST 1990

In article <1941 at tkou02.enet.dec.com> diamond at tkou02.enet.dec.com (diamond at tkovoa) writes:
>The Pascalisms were not removed.  Prototypes, pointers to array types,
>and the requirement to diagnose violations of syntax and constraints
>made it into the final edition.  There are probably others too.

I wouldn't call those Pascalisms.  Stricter typing as such might be
considered inspired by the Pascal school, but prototypes were I think
inspired by C++ existing practice (modified to grandfather in the old
C usage of empty parameter lists in declarations).  For the most part
the stricter typing rules, diagnostic requirements, etc. naturally
evolved as a side effect of trying to devise an enforceable standard.