formal interpretations (was Structure tags)

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Sun Feb 24 12:37:51 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb22.192133.29635 at arcturus.uucp> evil at arcturus.uucp (Wade Guthrie) writes:
>Okay, so now that I've bought my copy of the standard, how do I get a copy
>of the formal interpretations that have requested.  Seems to me that these
>are as important as the original standard.

Actually they are of less importance in the sense that they only guide
implementors and programmers in interpreting the standard; they do not
change the standard, neither do they augment it officially.

X3J11 might publish collections of interpretation rulings some day,
or they might not.  Persons who request interpretation rulings through
channels eventually receive a response; several have already been sent.
X3J11 committee mailings of course contain copies of these responses.

Several committee members have published their own understanding of
X3J11 interpretation rulings, both in print and in this newsgroup.
This will probably continue.