Frustrated trying to be portable

Henry Spencer henry at zoo.toronto.edu
Thu Feb 21 04:53:18 AEST 1991

In article <4188 at skye.ed.ac.uk> richard at aiai.UUCP (Richard Tobin) writes:
>As far as I can tell, some of the library functions described in the
>standard can be implemented portably (requiring in some cases a
>particular operating system), whereas some others can't.  For example
>the functions from <string.h> and <stdio.h> can...

I haven't studied <stdio.h>, but you need to look more closely at <string.h>
before making such statements. :-)  It is not possible to implement memmove(),
in particular, in portable C.  (Hint:  think about pointer comparisons.)
--
"Read the OSI protocol specifications?  | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
I can't even *lift* them!"              |  henry at zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry